About the Sofer / Magiah
Rav Avraham Yechezkel Lessin is a Sofer Musmach and Baal Magiah, certified by the Badatz of the Eidah HaChareidis as well as the Vaad Mishmeres STa“M. As a self-employed sofer, he offers a unique warmth to each customer through personal interaction. He specializes in writing Tefillin, offering customers the option of ksav Beis Yosef or ksav Ar“i as well as the order of the parshios being either according to Rashi or Rabbeinu Tam. He exercises the utmost caution when writing by bringing all potential shaylos to Eretz Yisrael's leading poskei STa“M.
Rav Lessin also received his certification for checking STa“M from the Vaad Mishemeres STa"M. With every pair of tefillin and with every mezuza, he not only performs a thorough “eye check“ but also offers a computer check commonly known as a “bedikat machshev“.
Rav Lessin is also trained to be able to perform any and all necessary repairs needing to be done on tefillin batim. When a customer comes to have their tefillin checked, this is a One-Stop Shop for opening the batim, checking the parshios (by eye and subsequently by computer), sewing the batim back together and then having them freshly repainted.
Rav Lessin is a talmid of HaRav Dovid Singer, Shlit“a. HaRav Singer is a sofer mumcheh with over forty years of experience and is one of Eretz Yisrael's foremost sofrim, both in writing, checking and paskening shaylos STa“M.
Rav Lessin lives in Har Nof, Yerushalayim with his wife and children.
Glossary of Terms
- Ksav Beis Yosef - Style of writing used by most ashkenazi Jews
- Ksav Ar“i - Style of writing used by most chassidic Jews
- Paskening Shaylos STa“M - Deciding legal queries in the field of STa“M
- Poskei STa“M - Legal decisors in the field of STa“M
- Shaylos - Questions in Halacha
- Sofer Mumcheh - Expert Scribe
- Sofer Musmach - Ordained Scribe
- STa“M - Acronym for Sifrei Torah, Tefillin and Mezuzos/Megillos